- Our traditional formulation is product number TB 5284.
- Produces a medium sheen appearance (75° gloss level when finished; fades to a 50-55° gloss level in 3-6 months).
- Our oldest and truly “original” product, since 1910.
- Like all of our Tung oil finishes, 90% of the resin portion of the formula is from renewable, natural resources.
- Our most versatile product. Many customers use only this product for all coats of finish.
- Formulated as a traditional interior penetrating Tung oil finish.
- Forms a protective yet elastic finish against common household spills, moisture and foot traffic.
- Penetrates and waterproofs when used as a finishing system in multiple coats on it’s own or in conjunction with Waterlox Original Satin Finish or Waterlox Original High Gloss Finish.
- Easier to maintain than other interior clear finishes or surface finishes.
- Our 350 VOC compliant formulation is product number TB 6038.
- Use on interior wood surfaces including floors, windows, doors, cabinetry, woodwork, tables, furniture, bar tops, picture frames, fly fishing rods, gun stocks and various woodworking projects.
- Non-toxic when dry/fully cured.
- Also works as a sealer, primer, tie-coat or paint additive to improve adhesion.
- Provides exceptional adhesion to oily, dense, exotic woods like teak, rosewood and ipe.
- Great on porous interior surfaces such as slate, brick, stone, tile, linoleum or cement to seal and prevent chalking and dusting*.
- For exterior projects, Waterlox Original Sealer/Finish can be used as a sealer. Apply 1-2 coats to seal/prime the substrate, followed by 2 coats of our Waterlox Original Marine Finish (see the Marine Finishing Guide).
- Coverage/thinning. One gallon covers 500 square feet per coat. One quart covers 125 square feet per coat. The number of coats depends upon the porosity of the wood. No thinning necessary.
- Dry time. Minimum of 24 hours between coats. Poor ventilation, high humidity or cool temperatures may increase dry times.
- * Once the project is completed, removing the finish can be very difficult as Waterlox will alter the appearance of porous substrates. Apply all intended coats to a small, inconspicuous area or scrap piece of substrate from the project and allow to dry properly prior to the actual application. Final color effect is always influenced by the texture, porosity, and by the method of application and will be difficult to reverse once finished. For slate, brick, stone and concrete, you may need only one coat to penetrate and seal.
Waterlox Original Medium Sheen (Sealer & Finish)