VOC Compliant vs. Traditional Formulations.
What is all this talk about VOC? To take a step back for a moment, the definition of VOC (Volatile Organic Compound) is as follows: “Any volatile compound containing at least an atom of carbon”. Our solvent-based architectural coatings contain Mineral Spirits, a petroleum distillate, containing carbon. Further, VOC Content is defined as “the weight of VOC per volume of coating”.
What can we expect from Waterlox? Waterlox Original Tung oil finishes come in two different formulations – Traditional and VOC Compliant (low VOC). The VOC compliant products have been available and in-use since December 2004. Our R&D goal was to formulate and produce products that meet the regulations without changing the results our customers have become accustomed to over the last 100 years. We truly believe that we have succeeded in accomplishing this goal. Below are the conclusions we’ve found through our extensive lab and field-testing and product use:
- Dry times remain the same, even though solids and dry film thickness are slightly increased.
- Film properties (water and chemical resistance) remain the same.
- Flexibility and impact resistance remain the same.
- Film hardness was found to be slightly higher or faster (rate to final hardness and over time) resulting in slightly better mar and scuff resistance, which may be viewed as better durability.
- Flow, leveling, touch-up and absence of lap marks remain the same.
- The Satin Finish has no settling, and a more consistent and lower gloss level.
We feel that you will experience little if any changes in our new formulations, even though there are differences in the actual make-up of the formulation. This is primarily due to the fact that the core ingredients remain the same (Tung Oil, phenolic resin, etc.).
Can Traditional and VOC Compliant be used in combination? Although there is no real appreciable difference between the end-result of the two finishing systems, they should not be used interchangeably / in combination with each other.
Traditional Product Codes:
TB 5284 – Waterlox Original Sealer/Finish
TB 6044 – Waterlox Original Satin Finish
VOC Complaint Product Codes:
TB 6038 – VOC Compliant Sealer/Finish
TB 6035 & TB 6045 – VOC Compliant Satin Finish
- When coating a project with our Traditional formulations, careful attention should be used to continue through the entire project with the Traditional formulation. The VOC Compliant (low VOC) products should not be used over top of the Traditional formulations.
- When coating a project with our VOC compliant formulations, careful attention should be used to continue through the entire project with the VOC Compliant formulation. The Traditional products should not be used under the VOC compliant formulations.
- The Traditional formulations can be used over top of the VOC complaint formulations.
How Does This Apply to Me? The VOC rules are applicable to any person who supplies, sells, offers for sale, or manufactures any architectural coating for use within a VOC restricted area, as well as any person who applies or solicits the application of any architectural coating within the VOC restricted area.
All shipping zip codes will be checked before VOC products are shipped. If your zip code fails the check then either Alternative sizes or low VOC options may be available to you or your order will be canceled.
Please see https://www3.epa.gov/region1/airquality/voc.html for more information.